Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Day one ends, day two begins

Yesterday's final word count: 1390 words. That's not great, considering I need to average 1667 words a day. First day should've been above that since it's likely there will be days down the road that are well below the average. Haven't written a word yet today. Gonna try to dive into that shortly.

Worst moment of the day yesterday: just before bedtime, while thinking about the novel, I realized that there are pretty major similarities to "Donnie Darko." I hadn't thought about that film in quite some time and then wham! something about the thought processes I had triggered the connection. I seriously considered abandoning what I'm doing, but, after thinking about it more today, realized that what I'm writing isn't the same story at all. Are their similarities here and there? Sure. But... any story that anyone writes today is going to have similarities to probably dozens of other pieces of work that are out there. Once I stopped to think about it, I thought of several other films and books that have common elements with what I'm doing, and yet I wouldn't consider any of them to be a rip-off of one another, so... I'll forge ahead.

Goal for today: get back up to the 1667 word average, which would require a hair under 2000 words. Doable, I think.

Technorati tags: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

I think there must be something about the day after day one because today I convinced myself that I had to start over in 3rd person instead of 1st (which is just exactly how I sabbotaged myself last year) but then I decided to just go for it anyway.

The thing is that even if this bit resembles Donnie Darko, chances are you'll be scrapping it all when you revise anyway. So just keep going and see where you end up is what I say. :)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Thanks, Myf! That's almost EXACTLY the same thing I'm doing to myself. I'm thinking that everything needs to be put into a different tense. But I ain't gonna do it. Or I will, but only as I move forward. I can go back and change stuff later. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home