Tuesday, December 14, 2004

SmokeLong Quarterly Issue Seven

Wheeeee! Just finished making the new issue of SmokeLong live. It's funny... I've been a little moody during the submissions period for this issue. I was starting to feel a little burnt out. Okay, a lot burnt out. But the past couple of days working on it have been great.

As much as I love reading the interviews, I don't particularly enjoy doing them that much usually. But this time, they were a lot of fun, particularly Tom Jackson. He and I started swapping emails about magic realism, baseball, and W.P. Kinsella after the initial interview was done. Fun!

Oh! And then I got to put the cover together, which I always love. This time was especially great. We wound up using what is probably my favorite painting by Marty Ison of all time. I LOVE this piece, "Disillusionment and Metamorphosis." I just think it's absolutely gorgeous. And I'm thrilled with the way the text worked with the painting. Found a blending feature in Photoshop that I'd been seeking forever and FINALLY found. It came out well, don't you think?

Anyway... everyone should go read. The content this issue is breath-taking, if I do say so myself. It's funny... at times, I wondered if we were being too picky with submissions, but now that I see the final product, I'm glad we were. So many, many thanks to Kathy Fish, Ellen Meister, and especially our Guest Editor, Maryanne Stahl. We done good!

So click the pic. I'm so excited!

7 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Congratulations, Dave! Smokelong ALWAYS rocks.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Thanks, Katie! I'm really proud of this issue. Isn't Marty's artwork just incredible? I'm so in love with this cover.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Hi, Dave

My kids don’t understand why we would look at art when we could ride the glass elevators up and down, squashing our noses against the walls.

Nevertheless, we were in Chicago and I made them go. (Yeah, it’s like that. :~)) I was astounded by how freaked out they were about boobs. Where have I gone wrong? I mean, we don’t run around naked all the time or anything, but we aren’t prudes. They acted like they thought their faces would melt off if they looked at a nipple for too long.

Somehow, I feel I’ve failed them.

Nice cover. And thanks for the blog.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Thanks, Robin. How old are your kids? I can imagine my boys reacting that way in a couple years. They've just entered the "kissing is gross" phase right now, so I figure the progression should set in when they're eight or so, to thinking that boobs are gross. For the moment, they still think the art on the covers of SLQ is pretty, though. :)

Thanks for swinging by!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

smokelong seven KICKS ASS!!! You guys keep coming up with the goods.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Thanks, Myf! Hey, I should have a sub for InkPot coming your way soon. Workshopping it now and got a few good crits to work into it, but I think it's close, so keep your eyes peeled. And dammit, it's been too long since we've seen a Myf piece for SLQ!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Robin said...

My girls are nine and eleven. They yell "smoochie woochie!" and giggle every time they see people kissing on television. Yet they love "That 70's Show". It's confusing and frightening. They're a lot of fun, though. They were hilarious in the art stores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home