Friday, September 30, 2005

a wild shot

So I heard about this short story contest with a three grand prize. Just heard about it a couple days ago, and as I've looked over some of my previous work, I've come to the realization that I should never EVER submit something right after I've written it. Fortunately, this contest doesn't appear to have any restrictions on previously published material, so I sent 'em "Spike. Resonance." Officially, it's 18 words below the minimum word count, but... screw it. It's the strongest piece I have, especially in terms of what it appears the judges want. So... wish me (lots of) luck.

10 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger buck said...

sounds like a good bet. tear 'em up, Dave.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Lots of luck!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger katrina said...

Good luck, Dave.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger k1tchenwitch said...

Wow, "Spike Resonance" is a powerful piece ~ it gave me chills.

Go, Dave, GO!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

Best of luck, Dave!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

You must have gotten the email from Dan Wickett. I sent something yesterday, too--just under the wire. God, that 3 grand would come in handy.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Wouldn't it be nice? I didn't get the email, but notices about it were posted all over the offices at Zoetrope. I didn't get a confirm receipt, so I'm wondering if they automatically trashbinned it when they saw the word count. :(

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

I just got my confirmation today. I'm hoping yours arrived at the same time.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger P. H. M. said...

You'll win -- I didn't enter. :P Just kidding, I knew word was gonna get around at the last minute and all you great writers were gonna enter, so I didn't bother.

What's the most obscure contest you know of? Because that's the one I want to enter next.

I really do think you'll place with that piece, however, it was the inspiration (admittedly) for one I might publish one day. Inspirational, powerful, clean and clear... I should have just said, "Good luck."

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Thanks kindly. But I'd be seriously stunned if I placed. The number of entries they received is probably HUGE.

And nope, still no confirmation...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home