Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Lenny Bruce

I believe I mentioned earlier that one of my college roommates created a one-man show in which he essentially was Lenny Bruce. For about three months, I very much felt like Lenny Bruce was my roommate. Today is the 39th anniversary of Lenny's death. Matt St. Armand and Beverly Jackson both have lovely tributes to Lenny up on their blogs. I'll add, briefly, an odd little anecdote about Second City that I love.

For all of its early history, the members of Second City refrained from cursing on stage. Until the night Lenny was first arrested for obscenity. Del Close was delivering an improvised monologue when one of the other members of the troupe rushed onstage, saying, "Del! Del! Lenny Bruce was just arrested for obsenity!" To which, Del replied, "No shit." Blackout.

Rest in peace, Lenny.

Technorati tags: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Bev Jackson said...

aw, a good story, Dave. It really is hard to think of him as gone. A oner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home