Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Beverly Jackson

Check out Susan DiPlacido's terrific interview with Bev Jackson here. Here's a small sampling of Bev's words:

"Well, see, I think that most of ‘real life’ is a lie, and that fiction is where we find the ‘real truth.’ That’s why I love writing and writers, and all art for that matter, because it is where truth lives, from my point of view. I mean, in life, don’t we all feel like frauds? Or is that only me? If you read physics or quantum mechanics, you know that what we ‘see’ isn’t real; you know from psychology that we all wear masks and are different personalities depending on who we’re with; we know from history and economics that society is fraught with misinformation, spin, advertising, propaganda, myth, and lies. But somehow when you read and write good fiction, an authentic self leaps out of the bullshit, to deliver the real goods. That’s how I see it anyway, which is why good art is so hard to find and so hard to do. So the biggest lie I ever told is ‘my whole life’ in one way or another. All the posturing, pretending, and civilized intercourse that one does to keep from screaming and biting off the faces of the people who don’t ‘get’ who you are. But then if they read a good story . . . suddenly they see something they never saw in you before. It’s magical."

Technorati tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Blogger buck said...

never heard it put so well. thanks for the posting this, Dave. i'll be sure and check it out.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger k1tchenwitch said...

This was my favorite part of Bev's interview as well. I think I need to print it out. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home