Wednesday, July 26, 2006

best news of the day

Man, I hate bumping down the poem idea already, but I'm giddy about something my favorite baseball team FINALLY did today. They designated Carl Everett for assignment! For those of you who don't follow baseball, a few brief tidbits about Carl:

1) He hates homosexuals (which probably isn't that unusual in professional sports, but he's vocal about it).
2) He doesn't believe dinosaurs existed.
3) He's a fundamentalist, if the above two didn't give it away (and this, in and of itself, doesn't bother me; it's other pieces that go along with it).
4) He nearly lost his child to the foster care system in New York because of alleged child abuse.

Those things alone would make me dislike him, of course, even vehemently. But sports fans are willing to overlook a lot of bad things about players on their team if they actually help the team on the field. C-Rex doesn't and hasn't. He has the worst stats of any designated hitter in Major League Baseball. By a LOT. We have a pitcher who is 43 years old who has marginally better hitting stats. Get the picture?

In his place, the Mariners have called up an Australian kid named Chris Snelling who is impossible not to like. He has been injured so many times and has always come back with such tenacity that one of his nicknames is Seabiscuit.

Goodbye, C-Rex. Helllllllllloooo, Doyle!

(And I'm going nuts because my favorite Mariners blog, USS Mariner is down at the moment, so I can't celebrate with my fellow hard-core stathead fans.)

2 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger katrina said...

Can all of those horrible characteristics fit inside one human being?

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Dave Clapper said...

Did I say he was human?

But he's gone! Yay!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home